Monday, May 9, 2011

I found a great Spelling activity/math, is summer coming?

The weather in Las Vegas has been completely crazy this spring. Cold to warm to hot to cold. Windy, nice then 60 mile per hour winds again....It has been so unpredictable. Just as I think we can get ready to go swimming in the pool, it gets cold again. Yesterday and today has not gone above 75 when Thursday and Friday of last week were both 97*. So odd. It even rained last night and today for a little while. The kids love it since it is not blistering hot as do I, but the winds were so bad (especially last night) with gust up to 65 mph! I took the kids to the park yesterday for an hour and a man flying a kite even had a hard time since it was a little too windy for him. Tomorrow should be in the 80's then progressively warmer after that.

I bought Devin an awesome new learning kit. He has gotten really good at sounding words out letter by letter and putting them together. We work daily on spelling and sounding out letters while he writes his words. For Easter I went to Homegoods/TJMaxx to find a table runner and of course (had) to look in the children's section. I found kits for 3/4 word spelling, mathematics and addition or subtraction only. The kits are self storing which is always a plus when it comes to putting kids things away. Devin is great at subtracting/adding numbers one by one and by two up to ten so I bought the mathematics kit which has addition and subtraction. I also got the 3/4 letter word kit. I meant for the word kit to be in his Easter basket, but he saw it in the car when I came home and asked what it was. BOO, so I gave it to him then. I thankfully was able to side track him so he did not see the mathematics one. I want to save that one for our 3.5 hr car trip to Cali in 2 weeks. He LOVES the word puzzles. He and Riley put them together and he reads the words to Riley and shows her letter by letter. I love anything that makes them think and is not just a plastic toy. Do not get me wrong, we definitely have a million of those and they role play and are creative with them but educational toys are awesome to have. Especially when both kids can use them. The quality is great and they are super thick. The fronts are super glossy and the puzzles are self correcting so they will not fit unless they are in the correct place/word.  Amazon has these for $9-$12 a kit and I got them for $4.99 each. Total steal! I would say order/buy them if you have a kid that loves to learn and is too old for simple flash cards. I may go back and see if there are any different ones that I missed out on.

Riley is getting much better at speaking. She really is quiet when she and Devin are together since Devin never stops talking. She talks much more when she and I are one on one. She now "sings" her ABC's and Wheels on the Bus as well as Itsy Bitsy Spider. It is amazing how confident they get day by day from 18 months to 2.5 years old. I know in the few months to come that she will fully be out of the little baby phase and full on little girlie phase. She has finally gotten the whole poopy on the potty thing. She is getting better with timing and no longer asks to go to the potty 8-9 times before she actually does her business. Now it is go time when she announces to me she has to go. I thought I may go a little insane when she was asking to go over and over again and not actually pooing. I love how proud she gets of herself though. She claps and says, "Yay, guck yay."

Devin is getting awesome and fast at putting puzzles together. He now smokes 24 piece puzzles and is working on 48 piece ones. He can do 48 pc puzzles all alone and (thankfully) sits alone to do them. I remember doing puzzles as a kid and they really are the best thing ever. I am thinking we need to buy some more of them so he has lots to do. Puzzles are one thing that do not get boring since every time you go to put it together you have a different start and order. Riley is past the chunky puzzle phase and it is sad since we have 10 or so Melissa and Doug chunky puzzles. I guess it is time to get rid of those and move on to 12 pc puzzles for her?

No comments:

Post a Comment