Wednesday, July 18, 2012

making a house a home

Frankie and I keep talking about different ways to make our new house fit us. We both come up with great ideas on how to improve it....and essentially make it ours. Make it our new home.

 As I had said before, we moved around-A LOT! We did not really make anything "ours" until our last address.....9130 Horizon Mist Ave. Sigh....it was our first real home. We lived in apartments for the first three addresses, then our house in NJ for 15 months before Vegas, rental in Vegas for a year then bought 9130. We were there for two weeks shy of 4 years. When we bought it we painted the entire house, re floored entire house, took the back yard from construction rocks to a great yard, put blinds and treatments in every room......it was ours. We filled up every wall with fantastic pictures of family memories... Devin was 8 months old when we settled. He took his first steps in that house. Riley was brought home to it...conceived too...Kids celebrated their first real Christmas' and their first birthdays...Riley's room was a store all until I got pregnant and then Frankie painted it sage green for me to match her beautiful crib bedding. Both potty trained there, both learned stairs on our open concept stairwell...I cannot tell you how many laughs and wonderful family memories we had in it-all the days playing out front around our street and around the island on their bikes/scooters/powerwheels, Devin memorizing the 4 turns street name by street name to our house...and now it belongs to a single guy named Matt.

I love this new house we are in. I love that Frankie and I get to start all over and do it again together and find new ways to personalize a boring basic house. Furniture is being swapped out, bedding has all been changed along with window treatments in our bedrooms and paint is going up in the first room this coming weekend. I love that we are creating new memories together and that the kids will have a great place to call home. We toss ideas back and forth about how to make it better and flow nicer...what plan we will go with, who knows but they are all good in their own ways. People always say a house is just a house until filled with laughter and love and then it becomes a home. I completely agree. I will upload some before and afters once we get there...but for now we need the creative juices to continue to flow.

Riley is wtih my mother right now hanging out while Devin sleeps away his sickness. I have no idea what is wrong with him. Played fine at the beach yesterday, was fine before dinner...ate a great dinner. Slept through the night (not waking or crying) then woke up and had to throw up. He went back to sleep on the bathroom floor until 8:30, came down and snuggled until 10 and went back up. Had a fever at this point of 102.1 and went back to sleep on the make shift bed on the floor. Threw up again at 1...still had fever. He is still up there now at 5 with a fever. Just gave him more motrin and he is drinking lots of water. Poor kid is miserable and uncomfortable, but is thankfully sleeping whatever he has off.

My goal for the last few weeks was to have Riley swimming and by George I think we have it! I am a tough love kind of mom and that method worked. Well of course it did bc I do not entertain whining and crying when I know what she is capable of. I would never just throw her in the pool and hope she comes back up, but I did little steps to continue her confidence with not having her chest pad swimmie thing. Two days ago I did drop her off the side to see what happened and although she was screaming when I did it, she came back up and kicked a few feet to the side. I did this a few times (she stopped screaming after the first) and first thing she did when we went to the beach yesterday was swim underwater by herself. She continued to hold her breathe longer and longer and the playtime went by. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment