Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Back on Top and the Granite State visit

It has been months and I can honestly say I missed it. I am back. There are many reasons as to why I have not posted on here in months but none of them are important. What is important is that Posts and updates will be back and my kids will be off my facebook wall. Ok that is not true. They will be there sometimes...but not all the time :).
I braved the highways up to New Hampshire with the kids alone two weeks ago. It took about 6 hrs and 45 min (stopping once) and we traveled 6 states. We had a great time visiting my girlfriend Liz and her family. Although I was super nervous about the ride alone with the kids...it went VERY well. I only threatened to pull over and leave Riley on the side of the road once. Now I do not know what is scarier...the fact that I said it only kidding or that she honestly thought I would do that. That said, I am glad she took me seriously because for the rest of the ride she did not touch Devin at all.

New Hampshire is absolutely beautiful. I have been to Vermont a few times and it is pretty there too...but New Hampshire is gorgeous. I could definitely see myself living in an area like that in the winter time and skiing, snow shoeing, hiking then cozying up by the fire with some red wine...Now Frank on the other hand hates cold so having a house up there would never happen but maybe I can convince him to go a away for a long weekend here and there. Now I know I am a beach girl through and through....but winters in the mountains sound awesome. Summers at the beach, falls up north hiking and enjoying the crisp air. Sigh, I could do both... 
We explored down town Concord for a few hours one day and I was surprised with how small the state capitol really is. Haddonfield's down town is larger that Concord was. It is really only one main road (a few blocks long) and a few narrow side streets. The kids liked walking around and seeing the capitol building, courthouse and a few gigantic birch and maple trees.

We did a two mile hike to the highest point in Concord. We tried to get there for sunset but the hike took a little bit shorter than I projected and were were about a half hour too early and the kids wanted to go back to Liz's house. They really enjoyed hiking though and finding cool treasures. Both had to carry 7-8 foot sticks of course and then complain that their arms were tired...Riley was hunting for baby pinecones and Devin was saving birch tree bark. I am so thankful that they enjoy being outside like I do and exploring in the woods. Vacations should not just be Disney, all inclusive resorts etc...get outside and see this awesome country we live in!

Saturday we drove down to Long Island to spend the day/night with my bestie Maria. She is doing much better from her surgery but is having short term memory issues and light headedness still. Her neuro ordered her to stay away from her job as an ER doctor until January 9th at the earliest. Devin made band bracelets for her, her hubs Massi and Massi's mom Ezia. I LOVE Ezia. She is so welcoming and warm and just wants to feed you. Her cooking of course is to die for and she brought over enough food for an army when it was just the 5 of us eating. I would love to spend a week with her to learn how to cook fresh Italian food...and learn more Italian than I have picked up from spending time with them. Devin could not understand most of what she was saying because of her thick accent but he later told me "Ezia's voice is really cool mom and I want to learn the Italy language so I can talk to her." Me too Dev me too! We drove back Sunday early afternoon-awesome 5 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment