Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Back from NJ, Santa Visit-no tears this year!

Ok, now that it has been a month without a computer we are back on top with a new lap top. I am getting used to all the ins and outs since it is SO different than our old one. The kids and I just flew back in from NJ yesterday so we are slowly getting back on PST.

We went to see Santa the week before we left. Now there is this little out door shopping district I have mentioned before. It is called Town Square and has upscale and regular stores, but every holiday season they decorate to look like a page out of the Saturday Evening Post Norman Rockwell lifestyle. They even have life size Norman Rockwell statues from the Post stationed throughout the shops with the story behind the painting. They have a cottage where Santa lives in the middle of the shops and for the past 3 years Santa has been great looking and great with the kid(s). I have learned that you always go mid day, mid week to avoid the lines waiting. We were the only family this year when we went which really worked out. I walked inside and it was a different Santa than the past 3 years and Mrs Clause was there? With some stupid stuffed animal dog on her lap? Since when did it get so GHETTO? Who the F wants Mrs Clause or some dumb dog in their pictures with Santa? At first I did not care, I just wanted to get a picture that both kids were looking forward and not crying. I do not care if they smiled, just no crying. Success, but I then asked if we could nix the dog and they were ok with that, then I asked if we could do just Santa and they got pissy. I was paying $12 for a sheet that contained 1 (5 by 7) picture-I think I have the right to ask to eliminate the "fluff."  Unfortunately, by this point in the game Riley was done and the "best" picture ended up having both the dog and Mrs Clause in it. Boo to that. Next year we will just request Santa alone from the beginning if they bring back the stand ins.

All the Skinner grandkids                                                                       Riley and Devin with Aunt Kelly and Great Grandmom
NJ was a great time. Frank has been traveling back and forth to NJ every other month or so for meetings and this time those meetings ended up falling on the same week as his company's holiday cocktail party. We decided it would be great to take the kids home and attend the party. It was super fun. Who doesn't like to get a cocktail dress on and go to a wedding style event? Cocktail hour followed by sit down dinner and dancing, not to mention open bar :). It was great to see some of our old friends who Frank works with back in NJ. I miss seeing them all on a regular basis. We were able to see our family throughout the weekend as well. Frank flew back Sunday and I flew with the kids Tuesday. They were great on the flight and people sitting around us did not even know that kids were w me until we got up to leave. That is a huge relief because I stress out the whole time hoping that they behave. There was one screaming kid on the plane and I never saw that mother get up with them. To be honest, I do not feel bad for that mother since she never tried to walk them around or distract them with getting up. Some kids just hate to fly, but man alive, get UP and walk around. Riley was on my lap for the last time since she will be 2 in March and we will not be flying before then. Although it sucks to have to pay for her seat after that, I know that she will have a seat and not have to sit with me.
                                                                                                                   a promotional picture taken at Janie and Jack
Other than that, Devin is SUPER excited for Christmas and cannot wait to put out cookies for Santa. We will be making a paper chain today so he can count down the days. I wanted to get together an Advent calender but with traveling to NJ I just never got my act together in time. He is pumped to decorate the tree this week when we get it.


Riley girl is such a doll and it is a good thing because when she wants to be she is a feisty magoon! She is really starting to get interested in talking and she has mastered "NO." She has really cute mannerisms and I am glad that the family was able to see her show some of them this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment