Monday, June 6, 2011

Really with the crying?

Parenting is definitely a learning curve. Devin is completely different than Riley personality wise and they were raised the same way. He is emotional, dramatic and sometimes too smart for his own good. Ever since he turned three and a half, he has been whiny and overly (fake) emotional. I really have no patience for the breakdown crying over nothing. I know he is doing it for attention but MAN ALIVE I just want it to end. He is not always like this, and I definitely do not think it is caused from exhaustion or hunger as it is during random times of the day. 

Riley is one tough cookie and really only cries when seriously injured or when Frank and I raise our voices at her. We do not do it often but for the rare occasion we do she turns the lip and it quivers then she cries. SO sad, but I know that she knows I am serious and the bad behavior stops. Devin on the other hand is not defiant, but just emotional. It is so odd. For example, Riley hit him the other day with a Duplo block tower. Not hard and I know it did not hurt, but since we were sitting there he broke down into tears and cowered in Frank's lap. What? Come on kid grow some! We both told him he was fine and we knew that it did not hurt. I reprimanded Riley for hitting him and made her apologize which is when he stopped crying almost immediately. It is not like he is ignored during the day or just a number. I am a stay at home mom who interacts with her children the majority of the day and he goes to a preschool he loves. I know he has lots of friends there and that his teachers adore him. So what gives? Why so emotional now, why try for all this negative attention now? I have read in a past Parent's Magazine that this is normal and that a lot of mothers go through it with their children. A friend of mine with a boy who turned 4 in Feb said she is going through the same thing. She feels the same way I do, and parents much like I do so we have talked about it.  We both hope it blows over soon because it sure does wear on you. It is really only when we are home, and almost never when we are out playing with his friends. He sometimes gets whiny around Riley's friends, but rarely around kids his own age. 

Last night he came into our room wanting me to make him a bed on his floor? Mind you this is 2 am and I just said fine, walked in his room and made a bed on the floor. I have no idea why he wanted one and I sure as hell was not going to ask then. He laid down and I went back to bed. Five minutes later he came back and wanted me to make him a bed on our floor (since he knows the bed is off limits). I asked what was wrong with his bed, or the bed I made him. He simply said he does not want to sleep in his room. I told him no, go back to bed or sleep on the couch. He has never done that before and was a little confused as to why I would offer that. He tried it out and then came back a minute later. He said he did not like the playroom and I told him to go to bed and not to open our door again. We woke up this morning and he had slept outside our door on the floor.  I asked him this morning why he did not want to sleep in his room and he said, "I tried to, but it was not comfy." He has been in that bed since he was 19 months old! WTH! He may just need to get used to sleeping in his own room again since he went to bed on a homemade bed on the floor in our room then woke up in the living room on the pull outs mattress on the floor while on vacation. I definitely need some sleep!

It really is amazing the amount of destruction these two can do in a day (or just hours.) When we got home from CA, Meghan had straightened up the house. In the true nature of the children, they went from room to room and had to touch and play with everything. By bedtime Saturday night the house looked like a bomb went off. We spent Sunday morning recleaning and putting everything away again. Hopefully we can keep the house in order for a few days. Meghan leaves Thursday and she is going to be missed. Not only because of her help, but because she is great company. Being home during the day can get kind of lonely and monotonous. Devin's last day of school is Thursday and he is so excited for it to end and have "lots of days to play with friends" this summer. How does he already look forward to summer break? All I know is, we left for CA and the weather was perfect 75-85 and now its 90-95 which means it will only get worse than that. BOO. We will be swimming a lot this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment