Sunday, June 26, 2011

B-more than the second letter of the alphabet


as a baby with the intended use

Riley has a no scratch mitten as her lovie, wooby, security thing. I have no idea how she started to use this as her thing to hold while she sucks her thumb. The good thing with having a mittie as her security lovie is that she has 10 of them and it's OK if we loose one or 20 because I can always go and get more from the store. They have to be a certain brand/color but they are a regular item Babies R Us always stocks. She used to have to have it on her at all times. She now will leave it at home if we have lots of errands and if she brings it in the car it typically stays in the car when we leave to go inside somewhere.

She does nap with it and goes to bed with it at night. It's funny because she likes dirty ones. If there is not one in her crib, or if we cannot find one in the house at bedtime and I reach inside her drawer to get a new one she throws it. It HAS to be one that has scent to it. I now have learned that if I don't see one in her crib, I can throw one in there before she comes in her room and she doesn't discriminate against it that way. She got mittie specific for about three days and I thought I was going to die because it's so small and to be honest we have lost a good 10-15 of them over the past year.



I have no idea why she named it "B" but she started asking for her mittie by name back around Christmas. It now is mainly called B and rarely mittie. She does walk around with one at home and she loves when she finds one that is somewhere within the house. She yells out, "There's B!" I do not mind her or Devin having a security blankie/mittie while they sleep at their ages. I had a blankie when I was a kid and I think I turned out just fine. Neither one of my kids were allowed to have pacifiers after 4-5 months old because I did not want to have to break them of that habit when they were toddlers, and also because a baby who needs one to sleep does not sleep as well as one who does not use one. The minute that thing pops out of a baby's mouth and they wake up and cry, making mom get out of bed to put it back into their mouth.....yeah no way was I going to get out of bed and put a pacifier back in my kids mouth over and over again. They can learn to self soothe and fall back to sleep on their own. Riley used to drop B behind her crib while she slept, but that thankfully has stopped. I would have to do a mittie sweep behind the crib once a week and wash the pile she had back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment