Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Things that kids do that make me crack up

A while back I had a few posts about things they say, example one, example two and example three. There are more, but those are some of the first ones. My kids, and really all toddlers are super funny. Their train of thought is really really funny to figure out and listen to why they say and do the things they do. I really love to watch them do things and interact when they do not realize I am watching. Devin can be the sweetest brother to Riley and he can also be a total pain in the rear as well. I guess that goes along with sibling being close in age. They are less than 2 years apart and it's great at times and at times I need to play referee.

Devin has been a trip pretty much his entire talking life. He says really funny and VERY matter of fact things. Our first day in the new house I was organizing the shed so I told the kids to go and play in the woods. Devin looks me straight in the face and says "They are not woods mom, it is a forest." I laughed and said they are woods and that a forest is usually when there are a bunch of pine trees. He asked what a pine tree was and I said like a Christmas tree with needles instead of leaves. And that woods are just where a bunch of trees are. He raised one eye brow and looked at me and then called Riley over to go play spy guys.

I had bought some cheese at the deli at Shop Rite the other day and Devin told me very seriously that I bought the wrong kind when we were putting away the groceries. I asked why he thought it was the wrong kind. He said I needed to buy the square kind (chunk) so we can bring some over to Grammy's and feed the mouse that is in her house. I guess he saw that on a cartoon at some point? I told him that we needed cheese for sandwiches and that Grammy can worry about catching the mice in her house.

Riley went to go potty last night in the powder room when we were eating dinner. She starting yelling that she peed on the floor. I thought maybe she did not make it? She has been potty trained for just about a year now so I was a lil confused when she said this. I went into the bathroom she was sitting on the lid of the toilet and had peed on the lid therefor going all over the floor. Poor thing.

Devin is doing a very good job at reminding new guests that they need to take their shoes off when they come in the house. I am glad that he understands this because I definitely did not want him and Riley tracking all sorts of dirt in from the yard. He and Riley also both know they are not allowed to eat or drink in the new rooms. Both stand outside the playroom with a sippy cup and they sit on the step that leads into the family room if they have a snack. I know this will not last forever but being less than a week in the house I would like to keep it as new as possible.

We were at my Aunt Dawn's the other night and Riley said, "That's my dad, his name is Frank." Frank just cracked up. He told me this since I did not hear it. I then asked her the next day what my name was and she said Mommy. I said what is my other name and she said Shannon. At least she knows what her mom and dads names are. She definitely does not call us by first name and I did not even know she knew our first names but it is cute to hear in her little squeaky voice.

Devin knew our address in the old house and knew pretty  much how to get there turn by turn from 5 or so turns away by street name. I did this one day because I was trying to keep them awake and was quizzing him on street names and it stuck. I told him we have a new address and he needs to learn it and he said that it is not 1-o-3 that it is 1-zero-3. I laughed and said yes there are only numbers and no letters in the house number. Smart kid.

I really love that I can hold a conversation with both kids and that both kids can play independently with one another and actually be imaginative and role play. They really have a great time together and love to play with other kids. Devin has take on a role of being a big brother and although at times is bossy, he is a rule follower and I definitely prefer that over an out of control child. Riley is the sweetest thing and is a lil crazy at times but she is also so sensitive and so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment