Thursday, March 22, 2012

Three year well check-still a peanut---how to fix a four year old PITA?

Not like it wasn't already known...but Riley is a peanut. She actually is the highest she has EVER been on the growth chart. She is 27 lbs (dressed) and 37 inches tall. Her weight is 10th percentile and height is 42nd percentile. I cannot believe she is almost average for a measurement. Still peanut-y but growing well. This time last year she was only 22.8 lbs (2%) and 33 inches (15%.) I asked if we could weigh her with just panties on but the doctor said it really was not that important now that she is a toddler.

She went to the pediatricians office where I went as a child. My pediatrician has since retired, but her doctor was great. My only beef with the office is that they do not have a sick room and well room for waiting. We had to sit with sick kids and their parents were not making them sit with them on a chair. They allowed their sick germy kids to walk around and touch all the books and such with their germ infested kid hands. One kid sneezed and a wad of snot blew out and hit the floor. You should have seen the look on Devin's face. He was in awe, disgust and (I think) a little envious of this kid's skills to expel snot. Riley just said "ewe." Sanitizer was our best friend today.

Riley has baby fine hair. I have to keep it in a bob or else it looks all nappy and scraggly. It still looks like she has bed head now since her hair has her natural wave coming out because of all the humidity in the air. She has humidity induced frizz like my sisters and I all had as a kid. I do blow her hair out, but within a few hours it looks like it does today in this picture from the doctors office. Partially straight, partial wave and total toddler hot mess. At least her super cute smile distracts you from her disheveled hair. I envy those mothers wtih kids who have super thick hair or our friend who is half Chinese and has poker straight hair which always looks adorable because it just lays so nicely. We will get there someday. :)

The weather is absolutely perfect here right now. I know its going to be cold and wet this weekend but for now I will keep the windows open and bring the kids outside as much as possible. I think we may drive down to the shore tomorrow to play on the beach and grab lunch. It will not be warm enough for the ocean but definitely warm enough to play and make sand castles. I am very thankful to be back within a short drive from the beach. I really did miss the ocean.  Hopefully I will remember the camera so I can take some pics of the kids. This will be Riley's first time at a NJ beach!

Devin has had a really rough day today. He was a total pita at the doctors office...and even was misbehaved in front/to the doctor. He was snotty and rude to my girlfriend Kelly at lunch and down right mean to his sister. Then he acted out again while trying to fax some stuff at my mother's work. I asked him to go and lay down but he is just screwing around upstairs. I can hear him in his room moving around. The kid needs to nap now and then and won't most of the time. He is cranky and has not figured out how to control his emotions. He gets frustrated and instead of trying to talk to figure things out politely he acts out. It's strange because he can be so well mannered at other times. He is not usually "out of control" or batty like I have seen some boys his age. It is more like he is jealous? of Riley and does things to gain attention regardless that it is negative attention. He is mean to her for no reason. She does fight back now and then, but most of the time he just hurts her feelings since she looks up to him so much. He gets his special one on one time so it is not like he is ignored. I don't know what to do to fix this but it drives me nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment