Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First day of preschool.....success or failure?

OK. So I get out of the shower and was dressed by 7:30. We need to leave our house by 8 am to get there in time and Devin does not usually wake up until 8:30 so I know I need to wake him to leave. Thankfully the trash truck came early and he woke up naturally by hearing me open the garage door to take the trash out at 7:45.  He got dressed and I started to take some pictures of him outside all set and ready to go.

I had to wake Riley up this morning. Odd that she slept in past 7, but I will take it!  Off we went and I tried to talk up how much fun he was going to have and all the new friends he was going to meet. He sure seemed excited and was refusing to eat anything. We got to the drop off line at 8:25 so we had to wait about 10 cars deep  until 8:30 when they started unpacking kids. Now I mentioned this before....I do not park and take him to his classroom. I have to pull up, then a teacher opens his door and unbuckles him and walks him to his classroom. I have to admit, I really wished I could have given him a hug when he left. He did look back twice, but was anxious to get inside. This makes the line move quickly and I am sure it is better for the kids not to have sappy moms hanging around blubbering about their kid going to school.

Did I cry? Well, not really. I got choked up when I pulled away. I called Frank to let him know that Devin was in the building and immediately started to tear when I was telling him about it. By the end of our conversation I was over it and Riley and I went home and had breakfast and played for a few hours until I had to go and get Devin.

Left the house at 11:10 and arrived at 11:33. I wanted to be in the front of the line for pick up. The pick up window was 11:30-11:45, so when I pulled up and saw the gates closed at 11:33 I was a bit confused. I parked and figured that they were just running behind on the first day. Riley was asleep in the backseat so I did not mind if I had to wait a little while. A parent walking past my car motioned for me to open the window. I did and they asked if I was picking up. I said yes and he said we missed the window. Apparently it was 11:15-11:30, but the director had misinformed one of the three orientation groups with times. So I woke up Riley, and walked in the office with a few other parents. The secretary apologized for the mix up and I signed Devin out. Yes, first day of school and my kid is waiting for me in the office. Haha. At least I wasn't the only one who made their kid wait there.

He loved it. Told me they sang Head Shoulders, Knees and Toes, played outside, went over the alphabet, colored, went over Show and Tell and lots of other things he said. They had a snack of rectangle shaped crackers and orange juice.  He told me that there were so many kids in his classroom and that he met a bunch of nice kids. He also said there were a few baby kids who cried and cried but were not hurt. He said he wants to go tomorrow, so I consider that a great success.

Riley starts tumbling next week. The company who we are going through is called Gym Cats and due to her  age she will be considered a Tumbling Mini Kitty. So cute. A friend of mine is enrolling her daughter too who is just a week older than Riley so it should be a trip to see these two learning how to do somersaults. More pics to come with that for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment