Monday, February 14, 2011

Can cake be good made with an Egg Replacer? Made one this weekend.

Since Devin is highly allergic to eggs, baked goods are almost all a no-no for him. He is able to eat Oreos (who knew the "cream" center was not really cream) as well as Back To Nature chocolate chip cookies since they are made with no eggs. Chips A hoy and all cookies like that are off limits since they all are made with egg products of some sort. At Devin's first birthday is when we realized the egg allergy so at his second birthday party we special ordered Philly Italian water ice. Last year for his third he really wanted a Diego cake so we ordered one and he knew he was not able to eat it. This year he wants me to make him a cake that he can eat. I started to do some research with cakes that were egg free. There are some out there, but they are not "birthday" style cakes. Whole Foods has a fantastic vegan section that I buy a lot of his snacks and treats from since they obviously are egg/dairy free.

The Egg Replacer I bought says that it is best used in scratch recipes, but that is a lot of work especially if he does not like what I make. I bought a $1.00 Pillsbury white cake mix and a whipped vanilla icing tub so we could make a valentine's cake and tint it pink or red to add to the festivities. The Egg Replacer is a very fine powder similar to that of confectioners sugar. The conversion is 1.5 tsp of egg replacer with 2 tbsp of water to equal one egg. The mix is liquidy and not thick when mixed. When I mixed this with the cake mix, water and oil the cake batter was thicker than usual. When I poured it in the cake pans it had texture to it similar to when you pour brownie batter in a brownie pan and spread it around. The cake batter had to be spread out with a spatula to reach the sides instead of just falling into place. It baked roughly the same amount of time. I took it out at the earliest part of the time frame the box said to cook it for. The cakes did not stick at all to the pans and seemed to bounce back when touched.
After all was cooled, Devin iced the middle white and then mixed some red food dye to make the rest of the icing pink. He thought that was so cool that little drops of dye makes everything pink. He decorated the top with Valentine's sprinkles while Riley at the sprinkles she was to put on top.





Verdict: Cake is moist and spongy and not overly dense. There is not much flavor in the cake, but I am not a good judge for this since I do not like cake (especially plain white cake.) Kids liked it, but preferred to eat the icing over the cake which I think is normal for kids? They have never really had cake before-maybe once or twice for Riley.  I would have to play with the recipe a little bit to see if I could make it more flavorful and maybe more airy.
There are a lot of recipes on the box of the Egg Replacer which will be great if Devin starts to eat more than a bit of baked goods. I do not like eggs, and I could really only eat scrambled eggs if they were egg white with cheese in them (which I still only do a few times a year since they are so gross.) Quiche is one thing that I will never eat. Gag-a pie made of eggs? Anyhow, there is a recipe on the box for egg free quiche. Kinda sacrilegious right? Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment