Thursday, March 24, 2011

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.....

This morning was a day from HELL. I am finally relaxed and calmed back down now that both kids are sleeping and I have 5 minutes to just sit. Devin had swimming lessons yesterday and did very well. Something I never thought of that they taught them was so basic yet ingenious. They learned to walk their hands down the side of the pool to the ladder. Duh, simple but I never would have thought to teach him that. In the picture you can see the platform the sink down in the shallow end. He really digs swimming lessons and we will definitely be signing him up for another months worth before summer hits.

This morning Riley and I went to the local bagel store before my doctor appointment so she could have a bagel while I drank a cup of coffee. She can polish off a half to 3/4 of a NY style bagel without any issues. I always get Devin one to go so he can have it when he gets picked up from school. Both kids only eat everything bagels. I am not sure if they would like another kind, but that is what Frank and I would eat so that is what they have been exposed to. The picture is how Devin ate his bagel today. He ate all the yummy seeds off and then offered the rest to Riley. Nice brother to share, but who in their right mind would want the inside of a bagel without any seeds? Riley did nibble off any remaining seeded areas. LOVE those two!

Devin is learning all about spring in school. Today he did honey and bees in his science section and learned about pollination. He drew a picture with a bee hive, a bee and some flowers to pollinate. He is so sweet with how excited he gets to talk about what he learned in school. He told me that "The bees pollinate flowers by flying from flower to flower and getting pollen stuck to them." He then said that "There is a queen bee and lots of worker bees that live in a hive. The worker bees have to make honey and the queen bee has to tell the worker bees to make honey." He retained a good amount of details today. I wish he would be more careful when loading his stuff in his bag though. Every day I get these crumpled up pictures. :)

As a science person I had to give homage to the tradition of standing an egg upright for the first day of spring. It was a myth that since during the days of spring/fall equinox the Earth alignment on it's axis and even with rotation and the days/nights are exactly 12 hours. Now this has been proven to be a myth because you can stand an egg upright every day of the year, it just takes patience. Myth/fact aside, it is still fun to do every spring. I usually do it when we dye Easter eggs as well, but this year I did it in celebration of spring on March 21st. Try it, it's a challenge but fun when you can do it! I did it at the kitchen table first, then on the counter tile and then on the bib so Dev could help. They stood up on every surface! Dev was cracking up when it would tip over and wobble.

No comments:

Post a Comment