Friday, March 11, 2011

Devin is in a reading club, Riley is 2 this weekend and a mothers helper is on her way!

Well we are back to a family of four. Frank flew back in yesterday from his 12 days in NJ. Not only was he gone, but he took the lap top with him so I have been without a real computer since he left. My phone can do everything, but it gets to be a little trying to do more than read emails and respond quickly.

A lot has happened since I last wrote. Devin has officially be inducted into the reading club at school. He can do single vowel blends eg: b + e says beee + d says bed etc. He received a special crown at school and was put on some reading club bulletin board as well.  I love that he can sound out words now. Much better than memorizing words simply by visual cards. He has done this too simply by word recognition when we read books and such. He also has gotten great at writing. He can write about 9 words without me spelling them for him and he can copy pretty much any letter if I write it out first. He is very proud of this and I am as well. I know that this is a huge accomplishment and it will only get better for him. I think the school we chose for him is a great fit as well as the practice he gets at home. He knows that he is not allowed to watch TV after Riley goes down for a nap until he sits down at the table to practice writing. He still does pull the whole, "My three year old hand is so tired mommy" but that does not stop him if he knows he cannot watch any cartoons.

The weather here in the valley has been awesome. Kids have finally been able to wear short sleeve shirts with pants. Today is fore casted to be 80* out and that is perfect since Fridays we play with friends at the park. I will take some pictures since it has been a while since I have done so. I love that it has stuck in the 70s + and will only get nicer (until June when the triple digits hit.)

Riley turns 2 on Sunday. I cannot believe she is 2 already! Time really does go quickly. Much quicker than the college years did which at the time was so fast. She is only talking sentences when she really needs to which drives me nuts. She can talk, but chooses not to. She does say words and strings together 2 at a time all the time. But the full 3-4 word strings only happen when she is desperate for something or frustrated (mainly at Devin.) Dev was talking more at this point and he exploded his vocabulary just after 2 and has NOT stopped since. I am assuming some of her quietness is caused by the fact that she has a continuous chatterbox for a brother. We shall see.

For her birthday we are giving her a Green toys Tea party set that I got from Pampers points as well as a 6 pack of Disney dress up shoes. She LOVES shoes. There is not really anything this child needs besides a few clothing items.  If you have ever been to our house, or seen pictures you know that we have so many toys and really no room for new ones. Devin got a sand box at 2, but since we have all the big stuff in the back yard, (water table, picnic table, club house, climber, sand box) there is nothing else to get. She does not know the difference yet either with what she gets. I think she will be pumped with the new shoes and she and Devin can share since there are 6 pairs. Lord knows they will want the same ones, but that is a fight I know I am going to have.

Other great news! While at West Deptford HS I also coached field hockey. I became friendly with some of the girls and still keep in contact with them. One of them is a senior in college and has been wanting to come out to Las Vegas, but I told her to wait until she was 21 so it would be worth her while. Well, she is now going to be 22 in May and will be done with college in May. This young lady is very dedicated to her studies and student life. I believe she is even speaking at her graduation. She has been accepted into two different graduate degree programs and now has the decision of where to go. She also was granted a great internship at Georgetown in DC starting mid June. Now here is where Vegas comes into play-She will be staying with us for a month and serving as a mothers helper and babysitter for friends. She will get to see a little bit of the west, check out Vegas and gain some more life experience (plus catch some rays at the pool.) She comes mid May after graduation and will stay until the weekend before she has to move down to DC. It will be nice to have some help and company. More to come on this as well......

No comments:

Post a Comment