Monday, June 7, 2010

Attempting to bake a cake egg free

So Devin turned 3 today and he really wants a birthday cake. Most of you know he is seriously allergic to eggs so this presented us with a challenge. I spoke with the lady at the supermarket bakery and she said birthday cakes cannot be made without eggs as they serve as a binder. I then went to Whole Foods searching for an expert in the vegan world since I KNOW they carry egg free crap at Whole Foods. She sadly told me that regular cakes cannot be made without eggs. I can make a tort or pie egg free. What 3 year old would want a tort?

Back to square one. I researched it on the internet and came up with nothing for a substituite. People cut the cholesterol by using Egg Beaters but that is still egg product. UGH. So I tried something myself. I used 1.5 old bananas and liquified them in my food processor and made the cake as directed from there. Now, the cake did not rise as well but it is spongy and does spring back when I push on it. The bottom was a lil stuck to the pan but the rest came off with ease. I will let you know how it tastes later tonight.

1 comment:

  1. great thinking for the cake! let me know how it tastes! I'm sure Dev will be thrilled regardless!

    ReplyDelete