Friday, June 25, 2010

Swimming with two is comical

A lot of our friends out here have pools in our back yard. We have a complex in our neighborhood that had three but not one immediately out back. Today we went to one of our friends houses up in Summerlin for a play date and some time in the pool. There is no more relaxing by the pool and hanging out anymore. As a mom of two young ones, I am in the pool the whole time and ready for action.

Devin now swims with just water wings or a lil floated he wears just to keep him afloat enough to keep his mouth out of the water. I would like to have him swimming without any aid by the end of the summer, but for now peace of mind with the swimmies is awesome. He is confident enough to jump off the stairs or edge depending on what pool we are in and then to swim around the pool alone.  He can blow bubbles and isn't afraid of getting his face wet. Now I love a kid with confidence and is not a big wussy. This world does not need anymore wussy kids! I for one will not allow it. One may think I am hard core, but kids need to know their abilities and limits.

He and his buddy were playing nicely swimming around and dropping diving sticks down just to watch them sink. They were shooting everything with water launchers too. Super good time for a 2/3 year old. The boys ate lunch and then returned to the pool for swimming time. Devin did not want to wear his water wings since he was playing on the extended stairs. I was fine with that since I was standing on the stairs too along with the other mommy. He then decided that he wanted to go under water and get the diving sticks. In the second or two he was swimming alone in the pool where he couldn't touch he actually was treading water enough to keep his eyes out of the water and had his mouth shut the whole time. After I grabbed him he wanted to swim without swimmies and of course I let him while I was in the pool. He would kick kick kick and hang in there. He knows if Mommy is not in the pool that would not be ok. I now am sure he will be able to swim alone by the end of summer. He is a smart kid and lacks any fear. I guess I am doing well so far.

Now where was Riley this whole time you wonder? Well, she started in the little boat floatie. She now hates that since she can walk so she tries to get out of it sideways by tipping over. She doesn't mind getting her face wet either since she is used to it by me pouring water over her head in the bath and dunking her under in the pool. So once she starts to try to jump ship, I have to take her out and either hold her or let her play on the stairs or right outside of the pool. She does well with playing alone but does not have the whole concept of edges under water. She has no fear and will walk off the side of the pool to me if I am standing in the pool. She knows the edge is there since she loves to sit on the edge and kick her feet in the water....but when it comes to being timid....Riley is definitely not that.

Now do I let them swim alone or do anything that may harm them? No, I am right near by them at all times. I do however think it is VERY important that they do things on their own and learn from them. Devin and Riley are both independent and I love it.  They were raised to be that way instead of the kid that hangs on me or wants to be held at all times. Swimming is another great way they can play and explore their own abilities with confidence. Las Vegas is definitely a place for some swimming especially a day like today that was 105* out!

Heaven is laying by the edge of the pool all day with a beer in hand catching some rays with my SPF 30+ on while listening to some tunes....now that the record scratched and snaps me back into reality I am in the pool at all times with a 15 mo old and just 3 year old both splashing and yelling at the same time. Wow have things changed in a few short years.

No comments:

Post a Comment