Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rainy day. grumpy kids. what to do?

It has been extremely humid here the last few days. It actually rained a bit on Friday and that made the humidity worse since it did not rain enough and the clouds stuck around. Yesterday was the same-hot, humid and on and off cloudy all day. This morning we woke up and it started to down pour around 7:30am. It only lasted about ten minutes but now at 8:30 it is raining again. I really wanted to go to the gym today and then take the kids to the pool afterward, but it is looking more like just gym playtime now. BOO.

Frank got to see Devin swim alone yesterday. Devin needs a little push and will do it, but if you baby him and do not make him do something he revels in that. Frank did not want to push him, but I did. Devin wanted me to walk him to the side, etc. I said no and let go of him in the pool and he just swam himself there. There was no turning back after that. Devin really loves to swim, but he knows that Frank is more of a softy than I am and takes advantage of that. I DO NOT want a wussy kid! I know he is more than capable of swimming, going to the bottom to get stuff etc. Frank now sees that. Devin has the confidence to do it and the know how and God help me if I baby my 4 year old. No way Jose! When I was growing up we were taught to do it yourself and that things were not done for you. That goes for swimming too. If you want your goggles, go swim over and get them. Mommy doesn't need to. He had a ball doing "jumps" from the side and swimming to me. He did a few cannon balls, kung fu, pencils and dragon warriors to keep him excited about it. Can I tell you how cute it is to see a 34 lb 4 year old try and do a kung fu kick as he jumps off the side of the pool?

Riley of course was wearing her little vest things and jumping in alone and swimming to the side. She did need help climbing up the ladder, but she kicks her little feet right on over to the side. She is such a good little girl. I would like to get to the pool more than once a week and hopefully we will be able to do that this month since we do not have any traveling going on. I have been wearing 30 SPF all summer as well, and it would be nice if I had a few days out in the sun to get some color before fall begins.

Devin's school orientation is Aug 19th and class begins on August 22nd. I am anxious to see who is new teachers are. His program is totally full with a wait list so I know that his class will be at the maximum capacity of 22 students. He will have two full time teachers and an aid in there so that is not that bad. He is very much looking forward to getting back to school and keeps asking me questions about who will be in his class, what classroom he is in and so on. I only know one student for sure named Giovanna from his 3 year old classroom. I guess we will see at orientation!

I turn 30 in three weeks from today. I am not happy about this, nor am I ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment