Monday, January 3, 2011

Hello 2011-Hello snowy am!

Our NYE was uneventful. Riley went to bed at her usual 7pm, Devin followed at 8 and then Frank and I were asleep by 10. Totally lame I know, but there was no reason to loose sleep just to be awake for the stroke of midnight. We were woken up by the fireworks at the strip (which we can see from our master bedroom window). Back to sleep and woken the next morning refreshed and ready to start cleaning up from the holidays.

Now that the tree is down and the decorations are put away, we can look forward for other things to come. Valentines day should be fun this year since we have lots of crafts to do and Devin has already picked out a card for Riley and Daddy. Back story- He and I went to Hallmark a few weeks before Christmas to pick out an ornament for Daddy and he picked out Spider man and the Green goblin for Frank then wrapped it all by himself. He wanted me to buy him a Batman ornament but I told him that maybe Santa will bring it. (I already got him Car the movie ornament from Hallmark). He reminded me yesterday when we were taking apart the tree that Santa did not bring the ornament. Shit.....so we went in search of it yesterday since they are now 40% off. No luck, but he did search for the perfect card for Daddy and Riley for Valentines day. Love him :)
We went to bed last night and it was lightly flurrying. I came down this morning at 7 am and it was SNOWING. Not flurrying, but snowing. It was sticking and we got about an inch and a half in just over an hour. It soon stopped and started to warm up. By noon it was gone. We did manage to roll a snowman and Devin loved that. Riley hated the snow. She refuses to wear anything on her hands and hated the cold snow on them. Primadonna! Devin was digging it and loved making footprints.
snowman tipped over when he put his arm around it


Our schedule gets back to normal this week with school, play group, errands and such. I like having schedules and things to do. I started to go a little stir crazy over the past few weeks since Devin was not in school, friends kids were sick or they were traveling....made for a very long two weeks.

Devin is getting taller by the month and I love it. He was so petite for so long that it is nice to see him continuously sprout up. He is finally 30 lbs and has stayed there for 4 months now. No gain, no loss. He got a new tag reader for Christmas so he is working on sounding words out. He has known all his letters and their sounds since 2.5, but now he is working on sounding them out to "blend" into a word. School is really helping with this. Anyone can memorize words, but him learning to sound them out is fantastic. That whole bs of your "Your baby can read series" should really be called, "Your baby can memorize". Every teacher friend I have talked to about it said its a total crock and that they are not reading, they are memorizing just as we did when we learned Spanish. I know my kid is actually better off learning the old fashion way by sounding out a word and not memorizing what it is by looking at a flash card. To each his own I guess.

Riley is a pip. She is adorable but so feisty. She is starting to throw herself on the floor (very gently sitting down and leaning backwards) when she does not get what she wants. Devin never really went through the whole terrible two thing so this is new to me. I ignore her or walk away and she does give up right away, but man alive it wears on my patience. Her new thing she does is hoard the Tupperware container of some snack-either fish or pretzels and then scream when you try and make her share. I know Devin does take a lot of things from her and I see where she would get fed up, but she runs away from him with snacks in hand so she does not have to share. She will give Frank or I a few of what she has, but not Devin. The weird thing is, it is not all the time. Other times she sits side by side with him and will share her lil snack bowl with him willingly and nicely. They have a love hate relationship-but from what I hear, that is all brothers and sisters. I just cannot believe she will be 2 in just over 2 months! Holy hell that went fast, time to start brainstorming her birthday I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment